Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Production Obstacles

As excited to say how awesome it is that I have been able to move along to this phase of the project, I had various obstacles throughout the process which ended up affecting the footage.

As previously mentioned in the Research & Aesthetics post as well as the Script post, the style for the bedroom scene works with low light. When production of the bedroom scene was in motion, me and my friends (crew) were working with little to no light coming from the sunset; first mistake. I cannot stress enough how difficult it was to work with an unstable source of light as the amount of light it was radiating varied due to clouds and the sun setting itself. This had me bumping up the ISO of the camera constantly; second mistake. Even though a camera like the Sony A7s has an amazing sensor for low light, constantly shifting the settings in your camera (specially ones that work with light) during the production of one constant scene is NOT something to do. This led to me having to deal with clips that looked different from other clips, grainy footage,  and color imbalances. On top of it all, most of the footage is close to pitch black. Why is this? When I was setting up the shots I relied on the electronic viewfinder as my optical reference for the shots; third mistake. The electronic viewfinder uses implemented brightness and contrasts effects to aid the shooter see clearer and crisper. One should always rely on the LCD screen in the front due to the fact that the screen will show the footage the closest way to how it will be shown during post. Below is an example of a shot before and after I tried to color correct it.


 



I have been trying to fix the footage through color correction and grading, but unfortunately the footage is just ineffective. I will be reshooting tomorrow under light radiating from a controlled source such as softbox lights, depending on the LCD as my optical reference for the shots I am recording, as both of these new implements will aid me in keeping a constant configuration in the camera's settings for the duration of the shoot. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment